Since its establishment, the Palestine Polytechnic University, has given a priority to directive research in both tracks; basic and applied. A department for scientific research was established in 2001 to develop the required bylaws for organizing and supporting scientific research and innovation at the university. In 2005 the department of scientific research was transformed into the deanship of scientific research and later in 2007, when three graduate studies were accredited at the university, the deanship expanded to the Deanship of Graduate Studies and Scientific Research (DGSSR).
The importance of graduate studies and scientific research has been one of the top priorities of PPU. These priorities come in complete harmony with the strategic plans of the university to improve the quality of life of Palestinians, participate in leading frontiers of scientific research and offering high level graduate programs in the region and world wide, and be recognized as a major stakeholder in the process of development nationally and internationally.
The DGSSR is the administrative and technical body that facilitates, regulates and observes the processes that serve to promote and fulfill the university vision, mission and objectives of the university concerning graduate studies, scientific research and innovation.
The role of DGSSR can be focused on the following :
- Organizing the research activities in the university in a way that ensure the best implementation. This also includes planning, stimulating, endorsing, and supporting directive research.
- Promoting the establishment of research groups, units and centers of excellence that respond to the needs of the community in particular and the globe.
- Networking researchers at the university with their counterparts abroad and supporting initiating joint researches of mutual interests.
- Developing and offering graduate programs that fulfill the community and regional needs
- Initiating symposiums, workshops, and conferences that serve the development of the graduate studies and research in the university in particular and Palestine in general.
- Developing relevant databases for the research activities taken place at the university premises.